The staff at Sunnylea believe that children benefit the most when parents and staff work together in partnership to ensure quality care and learning for the children.
The Sunnylea team welcomes parents as partners and this relationship needs to be built on trust and understanding. It is important that we, as educators, are able to support parents in an open and sensitive manner. A two way sharing of information is key to this.
Our policy is to:
- recognize and support parents as their child’s first and most important educators, and to welcome them into the life at school
- generate confidence and encourage parents to trust their own instincts and judgement regarding their own child
- welcome all parents into the school at any time
- ensure that all new parents are aware of the school’s policies and procedures.
- maintain regular contact with parents to help the staff to build a secure and beneficial working relationship for their children
- support parents in their own continuing education and personal development and inform them of relevant conferences, workshops and training
- inform parents on a regular basis about their children’s progress and involve them in the shared record keeping about their children
- consider and discuss fully all suggestions from parents concerning the care of their child and the running of the school
- provide opportunities for parents to contribute their own skills, knowledge and interests to the activities of the school in ways which are accessible to parents with basic skills needs or those for whom English is an additional language
- provide a written contract between the parents and the school regarding conditions of acceptance and arrangements for payment
- respect the family’s religious and cultural backgrounds and to accommodate any special requirements wherever possible and is practical to do so